Other Almosts takes place in Sycamore, Illinois.
The best way to describe Sycamore for those individuals from a big city is that if you start in Chicago, and take the train all the way to the end of the line, you still have to drive another half hour to reach Sycamore. (They tend to laugh at that, much the way suburban soccer teams would laugh when they got lost between cornfields.)
The best way to describe Sycamore to those who appreciate small town charm, even if they've never experienced it first hand, is perhaps to compare it to Stars Hollow from The Gilmore Girls. We may have some strange folks, and some strange traditions, but we can't imagine a better place.
Fun facts about Sycamore:
1. The town motto is "Where life offers more."
2. It used to be a town called Orange.
3. It is home to the DeKalb County Courthouse, which has been in a couple of movies.
4. Sycamore still takes pennies in its parking meters. You get 12 minutes.
5. It played a role in the invention of barbed wire.
6. A famous cold case originated in Sycamore, with the disappearance of Maria Ridulph.
7. It was founded the same year as Chicago.
8. Every October it hosts the Sycamore Pumpkin Festival, with a carnival, a parade, and pumpkins.
9. The Sycamore Historic District is on the National Register of Historic Places.
10. Every summer there's a Turning Back Time event, where the downtown transforms into the 1950's with vintage cars and live music.
Stay tuned to learn more about the town and the film!
Thank you so much to everyone who has followed our campaign already, and who has shown an interest in this incredible film! We can't do it without you (and why would we want to?)